Thursday, February 18, 2016

City Boy Meets Oxford! by Denyea Wilcox

    When you live in Brooklyn, New York life seems pretty amazing.  You fall in love with the bright lights, tall buildings, 24 hour restaurants, the subway, and oh yeah we can’t forget being surrounded by the nicest people on earth! 
"Yeah right!” 
Life in the big apple is exciting I definitely cannot deny that, but I think it's time for a change. Maybe it's time to leave the city that never sleeps and find a place that actually gets some sleep! My name is Denyea Wilcox, but everyone calls me Dee for short. In 2012, I graduated Bishop Loughlin Memorial High School and began my transition to Lincoln University as a college man. The first time I went to visit Lincoln in Oxford PA; I fell in love with the campus and the country environment. Also it was my first time meeting the Amish and seeing an actual "horse and buggy!" (BTW the Amish makes the best wings in oxford!) But there was something about Lincoln that felt like a second home. Eventually, Lincoln did become my second home over the last three years. I truly believe I have found a family at Lincoln that will be with me for many years to come. A family that has helped me through my trials and tribulations, and has contributed to my growth. 

Now I am currently in my senior year at Lincoln University, and I decided to do things a little different. I recently moved into an apartment right in Oxford, PA on Third St. I figured since it is my senior year, why not try living off campus and get a different experience (LOL maybe I should’ve thought about getting a car too before the big move!) Downtown oxford seemed like the perfect move! The “mini-town” is the closest thing to the city near Lincoln. The SCOOT provides transportation for me to get to Lincoln plus, the nearby restaurants, mini markets, furniture stores and lively town events makes me feel right at home. (Especially all the food restaurants! LOL I love to eat! The SawMill Grill makes a mean steak which is affordable for a college student.) I can see myself really getting involved in the Oxford community. Also the quiet atmosphere at night is the best thing for an English major college student, who has to type like a billion ten page papers every week! My drive for exploration of this mini-town led me to Oxford Mainstreet, Inc. (OMI). This organization is the life of the town! Their spirited events attracts not only the community but people from all over! This was just the place I was looking for, and I am glad to be a part of the family. So now I am a Lincoln University student, resident of Oxford, PA and a volunteer at OMI! “City Boy meets Oxford!” Let’s see what adventures awaits me in this funky town.



No comments:

Post a Comment